Wednesday, November 7, 2018

How Often Can I Post to Instagram Without Being Annoying???

Giggle, giggle.

I am laughing as I write this because I am thinking of Tiphaine, one of my teenage students. When I arrived this afternoon to speak with her in English, she greeted me at the door and deadpanned: "Marion, we have to talk!" She was so serious and intense, I thought maybe the cat had died. But no. It was not the cat. It was my Instagram account. She wanted to know what the heck was I doing posting constantly like that. "Marion, you karn't!" she shrieked. "It is not possible! Stop! And I love you! But you have to stop! And victoire thinks the same!" (Victoire is her sister).

We both almost died laughing.

I mean, excuse me. EXCUSE ME. With all due respect. The way I feel about it is that at my age and with all I have been through in my life, now I have to ask permission to post my pictures on Instagram??? Are you serious? You are telling me there are rules with this and that I can only post a certain amount and no more? And how often is that? Tiphaine has hundreds of followers and she posts maybe like once per month or something. She does not post a lot but when she does post, people are there, panting for more.

I mean, I am not Tiphaine. She is a beautiful teenage french girl, okay? Her whole raison d'être, her whole agenda, her everything is totally different.

She posts socially. I mean, it is, after all "social media." Is that the part I missed? The "social" part? I am supposed to care if people get annoyed because I post too much and I post, like, three of the same shots from different angles and stuff like that? I am only allowed one shot??? How can this be possible? My Instagram is my album, my scrapbook, my memoirs. If I don't post these shots, who knows if I will ever find them again with all the crashes I have on my laptops and the closed email accounts and this, that and the other? I gotta put that stuff up on my Instagram. Plus, très franchement, I like to see myself. And I don't care if people don't think I'm cute or if I annoy them by posting too much. I think I'm cute! And if I am the only viewer on my Instagram because everybody else gets annoyed, so it shall be written and so it shall be done, darling!

But she made me laugh. She was literally having hysterics. My posting style is very unmillenial. These kids have these rules on these platforms, these unspoken rules. People get annoyed when you break these rules. But frankly, my dear, I am not trying to be "social."  I don't give a damn about that. I just straight up don't give a damn about these rules. I paid my dues to society.  Now I wanna see myself as much and as often as possible and if people don't like it, they don't have to look. OK? So, voilà.

What about you? You think I'm cute, don't you? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ode to my little Flat in Vanves, France

So, I thought I would blog about my flat, my petite studio (it's really more like a room if you want to...