Saturday, February 16, 2019

The Gagosian Gallery: 4 Rue de Ponthieu, Paris


The Gagosian Gallery...So, for some inexplicable reason, lately, I have been obsessed with the idea of visiting the Gagosian Gallery in Paris. Why? I don't know because I don't know anything about the space except that they show modern and contemporary art and the founder, Larry Gagosian has other galleries around in the world in cities including London, Paris, Athens, San Francisco, Beverly Hills and Hong Kong.

If you really must know, I was attracted to all those international venues and capitals. They seem posh and sophisticated, and it makes the gallery sound like an interesting place to visit. Actually, I am sure I must have visited the Gagosian in New York, the one on Madison Avenue, many years ago, before I realized that I was into art. But I can't really say for sure. But I am sure I must have...

But, so, whatever. Today, I finally went to check out the Gagosian in Paris because, hey, I'm in Paris! I might as well profit from that actuality. I was in the neighborhood for a rendez-vous near the Champs Elysées on Rue d'Argentine, and after, I had the brilliant idea to go the Gagosian once and for all. I decided to take a cool walk to Rue Ponthieu where the gallery is located. Of course, I completely forgot about the "Gilet Jaune" the group of activists who have these weekly manifestations all over Paris and who sometimes get into violent confrontations with the police.





I am not the kind of girl who likes to get involved in big crowds. On the contrary, I try to be in the exact opposite direction from any gathering over 3 people. I don't like crowds and I don't like high octane situations. So imagine the sense of stress I felt to find myself walking down the Champs Elysées in the midst of a demonstration by the Gilet Jaune, talking about I am looking for the Ponthieu location of the Gagosian Gallery! Honestly how do I get myself into these things??

I was very tense, but luckily, it went off without a hitch. I was far enough behind the crowds that I never really felt threatened by them as a crowd. But there was that one moment. I was already on Rue Ponthieu which is just behind the Champs Elysées. I had cut over specifically to get away from trouble but trouble does tend to find me no matter what I seem to do. So, I noticed a group of about 4 young men and I know they had taken note of me. Rue Ponthieu was not vacant but very scantily populated at that particular interval and the young men, from my perspective,  were coming a bit close for comfort. I am sure they were not up to any mischief but at the same time, I just felt like, "please keep your distance!" And they weren't. Not enough for my liking and I was somewhat concerned about it.

I was not sure how that would have played out but at the same time a police car drove up out of the blue and sort of stopped near me and the four disappeared and I continued on my way to the Gagosian Gallery.

Whew! What great timing on the part of law enforcement! Thank you!!!

So. I get to the Gagosian. The security guard at to Gagosian did not hesitate to let me in. Wow. This is always an unknown - the security at these types of places but the guy readily opened up the door and let me in. No questions asked. He didn't even ask to check my sac. Which, if you think about it, was pretty brave on his part.

So, I entered and I was first hit by the fact that I was the only visitor there. Where was everyone, I wondered? Demonstrating with the Gilet Jaune?

The place is very spacious and the sheer scale of space really allows you to appreciate the art on a whole other level. If you are going to have a lot of artwork, you really need to have a lot of space. You can't live in a shoe box like I do (but I do love my shoe box more than I can say!) because it is impossible to really see and appreciate all the art like that.

So, I liked the space. What about the art? Well, they change the artwork quite souvent. This week or


this month, they have some works that maybe are a bit above my level. I am not there yet in terms of my ability to fully appreciate some of them insofar as, for example, making a purchasing decision - if I even could. For example, there was this paper mâché piece by this deceased Swedish artist that, I mean, it was interesting. But for $900,000.00? I am not so sure.  The girl told me it was a bit less than $1,000,000.00. She could have been shitting me. I hope she was shitting me. Cause, I mean, with all due respect, who would pay that kind of money for something like that as interesting as it was and is? Even if you are Elon Musk or some other billionaire and you have the space in your home and money is no object, are you really getting $9,000,000.00 of value with this? I mean, maybe. I don't know. I just didn't see it. With all due respect. You know?



But as I said, I am not qualified to even discuss this on an informal basis. I don't know what makes art valuable. And god forbid I should make myself sound ignorant by saying, "are you shitting me? This is a million bucks??? Whaaaattt???" I mean, it is very, very interesting but a million bucks???

….Um, maybe she made a mistake with the zeros...

So anyways. There were three floors of works on display and I photographed as much as I could and then I thanked the patrons for their hospitality (and they were very, very nice) and left.

And so much for my obsession with the Gagosian Gallery. I am glad I can now tick it off my list. Been there, done that. And voilà. Next!

Next, I would like to visit….um...I am totally obsessed with Switzerland and want to visit some galleries in Gstaad, Geneva and Zurich. Don't ask me why. It's just comme ça.

So below, find a few of the photos I took at the Gagosian. Enjoy.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Ode to my little Flat in Vanves, France

So, I thought I would blog about my flat, my petite studio (it's really more like a room if you want to...