Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Happy Snow Day Everybody!


It snowed overnight in Paris! Whooopeeee!!!

Even I had heard that the snow would be coming. Normally, I am in my own contrived little La La Land and I have absolutely no idea what is going on. A part of the reason for that is that I don't watch television and thus do not listen to the network news. Another part is that I don't understand French and so I tune out a lot of things as it all sounds like alphabet soup in my head. And another part is just Marion. She is just oblivious, that woman, and I don't know what the heck I am going to do with her. She created her own little cave where she climbed in and blocked off the entrance and there she dwells in her silence and her tranquility. And so the heavens outside could be falling in and Marion would just have no idea….

But for some strange reason, I did hear about the impending snow, I believe, yesterday. They even gave it a name though I do not remember what it is. Was it Gabriel? Snow storm Gabriel? I can't exactly remember. But I'll tell you a little secret: I find the Parisian snow storms very, very funny. Don't tell them I said this because they are very particular about their city and their culture and their lifestyle and all. But I can't get used to their idea of a snowstorm. I can't. I'm sitting there like, "but, it's all of 2 flurries! What are you talking about??" But you can see they get offended because to them it is a lot because it hardly ever snows in Paris.

Well, okay. So much for that. So yesterday, someone mentioned the snow was coming so when I got home last night, I drew the curtains and I pulled out an extra blanket and I got some hot tea and I pulled out a bunch of books with white covers, and slipped on some jazz, and got myself in the mood for snow. I do love snow. Even if it is only 2 flurries, I do look forward to it as much as, I guess, the Parisians do. Maybe more. Because I love winter. And it is not a real winter without snow.

So when I woke up this morning and opened my window and saw that indeed, the snow had come, not a lot, as I said, just a little sprinkle - as usual - I was very, very happy. I took a few snapshots and took out my white snow jacket and my furry pastel pink hat and heavy snow boots.

Of course, by the time I left the apartment, most of it had melted (so fleeting is the snow in Paris) and then when I stopped by the parc near my flat they had locked the gates because of the snow (can you believe it??) so I did not get all the fabulous pictures I had fantasized about. You have to understand that in New York, I was the girl who would go out in the blizzard to get that shot of the Brooklyn Bridge inundated with snow. Once, in Brooklyn, during a blizzard, the winds were so heavy and the snowfall was so unrelenting that even though I was 5 minutes away from my flat, I was having trouble just moving forward and really thought I would have died on the streets not even a block away from my apartment. (No, I would never do that again. It was clearly stupid to have gone out in a blizzard like that when everyone had been warned to stay indoors but I was young and thought I was invincible back then and of course, now, I know better.)

But it is just to say that I love when it snows and I love being able to take photos and so I was really disappointed that they had locked the park during the first real snowfall of the year. How and why would they do that for chrissakes when we get so few snow days and obviously a walk in the park after a night of snow would be a welcomed adventure for just about anyone who breathes???

Mais, alors. I am blissfully happy because it has snowed in Paris. How long will this bliss last? Well, let's see, has the snow all melted as yet?? :)

Below you can find some pictures I did manage to take on my way to the bus (as well as a couple from my window). I think they are beautiful and I hope you do too. Enjoy.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Ode to my little Flat in Vanves, France

So, I thought I would blog about my flat, my petite studio (it's really more like a room if you want to...