Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Have you Checked out the Urban Gallery on Boulevard du Montparnasse? It's cool.


They say New York is at the epicenter of the art world and that London lags not too far behind. Where does that leave Paris, I wonder? I can only wonder because it seems that as soon as I step out of my flat in Paris, I stumble headlong into art. Which is exactly what happened today when I stumbled into the Urban Gallery on Boulevard du Montparnasse. So where is Paris on this hierarchy of art capitals of the world? Is it before or after Dubai?

Well, while you sort that out, I can't tell you how many times have I walked past Urban Gallery without realizing I was walking past a gallery. The guy at the front desk said they have been in this very spot for the past ten years. And I walk on the Boulevard du Montparnasse all the time. But I have never ever noticed this cool little space until today. Incredible.

I would say this place is a must see for people who are into art because it is little and cool and the art is great. The patron is welcoming and seems open-minded as well. So you get the feeling that he is not looking down his nose at you as if to say "what do you want there is nothing here for you," like that guy did when I went to the gallery on Rue Castiglione a few months back. And this is a good thing. Art should bring people together from different cultures and socio economic backgrounds and nationalities etc. It should not be yet another means of discrimination and locking certain people out. What is the point of art if it cannot be shared and experienced by all? So kudos to the guy at the Urban Gallery for not being a snob.

So, anyways, "néo pop" and street art (the art shown here) are not forcément my style, so today I was  really just taking in the creativity but not really thinking of  it as inspiring my next work of art necessarily because my style is…..oh la la. I don't even know how to describe my style!.... It does not really have a characterization. I am not a street artist, that is clear for me. But I am not forcément an expressionist artist either and certainly I am not a realist painter although some of my stuff is sort of realist. (Listen to me, I make myself giggle, talking about my stuff is realist and not realist! The whole thing makes me giggle because I am like, who is this woman that I have become? Ya know?)

What kind of artist are you Marion TD Lewis??? I. DON'T. KNOW!!! I do think of myself as an "expressionist" but only in the sense that I have given myself permission to "express" myself with my art. I am not expressionist in the academic sense of the word.

But yea. What I liked about the works on display here were the vivid colors they used in these canvasses. The artists worked mostly in oil, acrylic and spray paint and the result is truly spectacular. It kind of made me want to go out and get a can of spray and play around a little bit with it. So I guess I have to take back what I said a few sentences up about not looking to be inspired.

But yea. The pictures below will show you what I mean. It is hard to see from the photos because my camera is not that good and of course, I don't have a photo editor yet. It is an investment I will make one of these days but not in the foreseeable future unless something unexpected happens.

But yea. The colors are vivid, just trust me on that, and I liked that. It woke me up. And really, when I look around the studio, my studio (giggle) I see an artist who does like a lot of vivid color. There is a lot of color on my canvasses. But there is the other side that craves more calm, more muted tones, and a lot of white, a lot of snow - especially at this time of the year

….I digress...

But indeed, I think I am a seasonal painter. In the summer when it is hot, I only want to paint bright colored fruits and blue, blue oceans with sailing boats. And then in winter, all I want is grey and white and barren canvasses. Does this mean I am moody?

Well, while you contemplate that, check out some of my pics from Urban Gallery. The address on this place is 163 Boulevard du Montparnasse, Paris.























No comments:

Post a Comment

Ode to my little Flat in Vanves, France

So, I thought I would blog about my flat, my petite studio (it's really more like a room if you want to...